April has been quite a month. On Wednesday April 21st our son was taken to the Chester County Emergency Room after vomiting yellow bile twice at home. He continued to vomit over 5 times overnight at the hospital Wednesday. Thursday morning he had an ultrasound and upper GI test which discovered he had malrotation. Malrotation is a twisting of the intestines, pretty much Matty’s intestines needed to be rearranged. This meant intestinal surgery. We were transported to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) to have the surgery. During this entire time I think that my heart actually stopped. Seeing your little tiny infant vomiting bile uncontrollably is the worst, most terrifying feeling. At CHOP he was poked and prodded. It took 5 hours and 3 teams of people to start an IV and draw blood. Due to the vomiting he was severely dehydrated. On Friday morning Matty had laposcopic surgery on his abdomen to rearrange his intestines and colon, take out his appendix, and check damage to his digestive organs. Our surgeon was a University of Maryland medical school grad so we knew we were in good hands. The surgery was a success but Matty still had to have a stomach tube and no food. Things were looking up, however, on Sunday after 24 hours of continual bile vomit he was put back on his stomach tube. Monday morning it was verified that the surgery was a successful by an extended time upper GI x-ray series. By laaaattteeee night Wednesday he was back to breastfeeding. On Thursday we were discharged.
We have been home for a little over a week and things have been good. We had a scare Thursday night after Matty had projectile vomit but after much observation he seemed to get better. We are still on high alert with every cry, spit up, and poop. We never want to go through seeing our baby in the hospital EVER again.
I want to thank everyone for being there for us through this whole ordeal. Words can never really illustrate how much it meant to us. I wouldn’t wish this type of hardship, pain, and terror on anyone.
I was gripped with fear and anxiety for 9 days straight. I look at myself in the mirror every morning and wonder how I got through this then I look at the smiling face of my healthy baby boy and remember.

One month old today!
Not the best way to spend a birthday.

With 'Aunt' Amanda, still have in his stomach tube :(
His face is hilarious "Who is this crazy lady holding me?"

With 'Aunt' Tricia

With 'Uncle' Mike
*Who brought the best sandwich I have ever eaten

Our house for a week. Matty is waving 'hi' in this pic

Cute even in the hospital

Some of the comforts from home: sleep sheep & soft blanket.
Such a big bed for a little kiddo

"Daddy, can we go home now?"

Miss Velada was his favorite. She was the only one who didn't poke at him!

Finally at home
No comments:
Post a Comment