Sunday, April 18, 2010

Breastfeeding, Not As Easy As It Seems

Before Matty’s birth, I read and researched everything I could on breastfeeding. I was determined my child would be breastfeed. I just figured as long as my milk came in and he latched on it was smooth sailing from there on out. Wrong. Luckily he took right to breastfeeding just after delivery. Someone must have been paying attention in breastfeeding class, A+ Matty! Everything was perfectly wonderful at the hospital and then they sent us home: dum dum dummmmm. For those of you who didn’t know this, you can actually get an oversupply of milk which is similar to taking a drink of water from a fire hose. This issue has caused stomach issues with Matty, e.g. screaming at the top of his lungs fro 8 pm-10 pm every night. We have been told he will grow out it at around 3 months. Thanks doctors, until then BK and I will just have to concentrate on not going insane or being kicked out of our apartment for excess noise violations.

Another thing none of the books really talked about is the emotional element of breastfeeding. The feeling of all you are is a pair of feed bags and will never be able to leave your house because you are feeding your child 12 hours a day. Seriously, 12 HOURS a day! Also, no one tells you that your husband will develop “boob envy”. I define “boob envy” as jealousy that you are able to quiet the baby in seconds and get to spend more time with the baby. Yes because, I define fun, quality time with my child as a painful activity that leaves both people crying and ends in horrible gas. F-U-N! Thank goodness bottles were invented so now our baby can get fed by both Mommy and Daddy. Matty has showed not one issue swithcing between bottle and breastfeeding. Yay.

Regardless of the hurdles my stubborn nature means breastfeeding is here to stay; plus Matty is gaining weight and very healthy. My next step, venturing out into the world and not getting arrested for flashing.
Week 1

Week 2
Look how much he's grown!

Phillies Opening Day
**Swings are ideal for picture taking!! Quiet, happy, still baby :)




No comments: