Friday, May 1, 2009

I Heart Heather

I have introduced another to my internet addiction, dooce.com. You’re welcome Bonnie. One of my co-workers introduced me to the website over 2 years ago and I have been reading it ever since. Almost every day I read the blog’s witty comments and view the hilarious pictures. The blog is especially important when I have had a horrible day and stabbings may be handed out at work or home.

For those of you who don’t want to read my details below, Cliffs Note Version: Meeting Heather was well worth the wait.

Heather Armstrong is the author of the blog (dooce.com) and has transformed every day mundane activities into comical quips. She has written two books. I had the pleasure of being in Austin, Texas the week she was doing a book signing for her second book. I was on a work trip so skipping out on dinner for a ‘book signing' has made me the ultimate nerd of my industry (which is all engineers so just guess how hard that hit my ego, nerdy-er than engineers!! WHAT!). After making my way to the bookstore I waited in a gigantic crowd of people to catch a glimpse and shake the hand of Mrs. Heather B. Armstrong! Waiting to meet H-Dub (I decided that we are now besties and have given her a nickname) allowed me to see that Austin is officially the nicest city in America. Everyone was so super happy; I even met two very nice girls while waiting in line and they actually offered to drop me off at my hotel so I didn’t have to take a cab! I didn’t take the ride noting my mother’s old advice “don’t take rides from strangers” and after watching multiple “To Catch a Predator” repeats (thank you very much, Ang) I think even normal looking people are secretly chainsaw murders.

SO, onto me meeting one of my idols….After waiting in the bookstore for almost 2 hours (literally) I finally got to shake hands and talk to Heather. She is absolutely wonderful in person. I have never seen such a tall, thin woman with such a huge baby bump. AND the fact that she used curse words multiple times in the children’s section of a book store while reading experts from her book and answering questions makes her utterly wonderful. Not that kids should ever hear the “f” word but the irony of a potty mouth mother-to-be using profanity in a kid’s book section just emphasis her satirical and sarcastic nature. I did get a picture with her (see above) and have a beautifully signed copy of “It Sucked and Then I Cried”, the book chronically her first pregnancy. However, I was so nervous to meet her when she asked what I did for a living I said “I make maps, but not the treasure kind”. Oh my poor ego.

Another insanely great website that has me LOL-ing to the cat: http://gofugyourself.celebuzz.com/

No comments: