Sunday, April 26, 2009

Vacation: being free from a duty, service, etc.


Every year my husband and I save xyz amount of money for our annual vacation. There are only two prerequisites: 1. It has to be a place we have never been and 2. It has to be FUN (yes, all caps type of fun). This year we were invited to the wedding of two college friends out in sunny southern California. We thought, why not make this our vacation…the rest is history. After adding up frequent flyer miles, Hilton points, and all the people we know in California, we needed no more convincing. We headed to the left coast.

Our schedule was insane!! Sleep and relaxation did NOT occur on this vacation. We spent one day in San Francisco and saw everything in the city, literally EVERYthing all on foot (including some possible meth addicts in a park that was heavily hazy due to the strong smell of ‘medical’ Mary Jane). I double dog dare anyone to name something we didn’t do. After a day romping around SanFran, we drove down the scenic Pacific Coast Highway toward LA. The car trip was insanely beautiful, the type of pure organic beauty that can’t be described in words. After arriving in LA we spent one day with my BFF Megs and had a great meal in Venice (CA that is). I know LA is known for anorexia but I have no idea how people can be so skinny in that city because it honestly has the best food anywhere on the freaking planet. Seriously, I have had insanely excellent food abroad and I have had plenty of great, grand, wonderful food stateside but nothing compares to the freshness and creativity of LA food. BK (the hubby) and I did a quick tour of LA (well “quick” in terms of LA traffic). Del Mar was the wedding location. Saturday was the big day and we cannot say enough great things about this wedding. Not only was it beautiful but it was romantic and fun. Sunday morning (slightly hung over) we headed towards San Diego. SD is one of my favorite places on earth, and I was so excited that BK was finally going to get to see SD is person in all its fab glory. Well….as luck would have it we arrived on the ONLY freaking cloudy day of the year. Hey, it didn’t rain our whole entire trip so I should probably hold my bitter tongue but still, come on Mother Nature. Great food, great friends, great scenery, and crazy experiences made up our 2009 annual va-ca. Now, we are planning for next year, no sleep for the adventurous. Suggestions????
All of our pictures are housed here: http://hilarykendro.shutterfly.com/
Please, definitely take a minute to look through them. Every day I am more and more impressed by the hubs photographic ability. I am looking into selling them on etsy (http://www.etsy.com/). So pick your fav and I will make it available.

Things I love this month:
- Imeem: I have found an amazing site: imeem.com. It is a site composed of members’ playlists. You can listen to all playlists by streaming from your computer. There is even a link to ITunes to download the playlist to your Ipod. Easy, peasy. I have found insanely great playlists for Nick & Nora’s Infinite Playlist, Adventureland, and I Love You Man. It makes the work day go by SO much better.
- Goodreads.com: book club + facebook. This site allows people to add books they have read, are reading, and will read. You can put up comments about the book, recommend certain books, and even browse reviews. As a person who routinely throws money out the window on horribly boring books, I have found this site very useful. Also, it makes me WANT to read. You can post your progress… and who wants to be “that girl” whose reading progress stays stagnant.
- My beaded necklaces (in green, red, and silver). Since I have been traveling for work for God knows how long this year, these necklaces are the only things that look good with everything, can dress up a t-shirt, and are small so packing is easy (no worries about wrinkles or weird suitcase smell).

- Siggi’s Skyr Icelandic Yogurt. I got this from the most gigantic Whole Foods in the County. It is in Austin and was like walking into a shopping mall of organic food filled with the smell of patchouli and the site of healthy, smiley, weirdly too happy people. This was the best yogurt I have ever had and have been craving it since I have gotten back to PA. Austin is a curiously mystical happy, healthy, and welcoming place. The yogurt doesn’t stray far from the course.

No comments: